Food fortification is not something new and it dates back in history to as far as the 1920s as a way to address nutritional deficiencies across the globe.
Good examples of this are fortified foods with iodine, vitamin A, and iron.
What does fortified mean? Any food becomes ‘fortified’ with the addition of vitamins and minerals that were not originally in the food.
Sounds great? But here’s what you need to remember. Use vegan fortified foods only to complement your intake of whole foods to balance your overall nutrition or perhaps to vary your diet, but never as a replacement for whole foods!
Let’s take a look at some of the best vegan fortified products along with their nutritional value which we’ve put together to supplement your diet & nutrition.
List of Vegan Fortified Foods
Vegan Fortified Cereals
Breakfast is of course, a great way to pack in some vitamins and minerals to set you up for the day. Combining a good fortified breakfast cereal with your favorite vegan fortified milk or with a glass of vitamin-rich fruit juice is a perfect way to get a host of nutrients in just one meal and get your day off to a great start.
While not all the fortified cereals below necessarily have a vegan certified stamp, we’ve personally checked the ingredients to make sure they are vegan and compliant.
1. Fibre One Cereal by General Mills
It turns out getting your ‘roughage’ is just as important as grandma told you! With many people falling below the recommended daily intake of fiber, this whole grain cereal is a great way to meet your RDA, as just one serving already delivers 55% of your daily fiber needs. It is fortified with iron, vitamin B12, calcium and a source of protein and zinc as well.
Low in calories and free from added sugar, they’re also a good option for those trying to keep their calories down without losing out on vital nutrients.
- 25 % of your daily vitamin B12 per serving
- 25 % of your daily iron per serving
- 10 % of your daily calcium per serving
- 2g of protein per serving
- 10 % of your daily vitamin C per serving
- 25 % of your daily zinc per serving
2. Kellogg’s Mini-Wheats Unfrosted Cereal
With each bite-size piece made from eight layers of whole grain wheat, this breakfast treat offers a slightly different texture that can make an interesting change to your morning routine!
Free from saturated fat, and with no added sugar, they are also a good way to supplement your daily fiber intake while getting a filling breakfast to deliver energy to your morning. Fortified with iron, vitamin B12, and a good source of protein!
- 25 % of your daily vitamin B12 per serving
- 90 % of your daily iron per serving
- 6g of protein per serving
- 10 % of your daily zinc per serving
Fortified Vegan Milk Products
Click here >> Fortified Plant Milk
Fortified Vegan Drinks
1. Beet Performer Beet Juice
Beet is well known for its ability to boost athletic performance , though it can be a challenge at times getting your beets into daily meals!
Luckily with this ready to drink beet juice, you can make sure you’re getting those performance boosting nitrates in a convenient package wherever you go, plus the vitamin B12!
- Provides 80% of your daily vitamin B12 per serving
- High in nitrates (300mg per serving), which deliver more oxygen to your muscles, boosting stamina and strength.
- 100% pure juice, not diluted, not from concentrate.
- Sugar is natural sugar from beets.
2. Sunshine – Ginger Berry, Blueberry Lemonade and Clementine Twist Fortified Drinks
If there’s one thing your average can of soda can’t boast about, it’s how many essential vitamins it contains. Luckily, this is definitely not your average can of soda!
These vegan fortified drinks are available in three distinct flavors – ginger berry for the lovers of spicy sweetness, clementine for the citrus lovers and blueberry for the fruity folks. So find out which ones you prefer to quench your thirst while getting your essential nutrients along with a burst of energy and a stimulating organic caffeine hit!
- Packed with electrolytes, 100% of your daily vitamin B12 and 50% of daily Vitamin B6 per serving
- Organic caffeine, no artificial colors, flavors or sweeteners
Other Fortified Vegan Food
1. Luna Bar: Nutz Over Chocolate
Let’s face it, sometimes you’re really in need of that finger-licking chocolate bar! With Luna Bar, you can make sure you get it, the organic and healthy way. Perfect for when you’re in a rush or feel a bit stressed out, these handy bars are a delicious and gluten-free way to get some much-needed energy.
And hey, they’re fortified with vitamin B12, calcium, iron, iodine and a good source of many more nutrients and antioxidants. So now you have an added reason to spoil yourself and relish on this nourishing chocolate satisfaction!
- Gluten Free
- 100 % of your daily vitamin B12 per serving
- 10g of your daily protein per serving
- 25 % of your daily vitamin A per serving
- 100 % of your daily vitamin C per serving
- 35 % of your daily vitamin Calcium per serving
- 30 % of your daily iron per serving
- 100 % of your daily vitamin E per serving
- 10 % of your daily vitamin K per serving
- 80 % of your daily vitamin B1 per serving
- 80 % of your daily vitamin B2 per serving
- 80 % of your daily vitamin B3 per serving
- 100 % of your daily vitamin B6 per serving
- 100 % of your daily folate per serving
- 35 % of your daily iodine per serving
- 35 % of your daily zinc per serving
- 20 % of your daily magnesium per serving
2. Daiya Cheddar Style Cheezy Mac
When you ask people about their favorite comfort foods, mac and cheese is a top choice with most. Now thanks to Daiya, vegans can enjoy this delicious classic and even get some of their fortified B12 and calcium in the process too!
Even better, it’s made from whole grain pasta and is even gluten-free, so tuck into a rich, creamy, steaming bowl and enjoy!
- 20% of your daily value of calcium and vitamin B12
- Gluten Free, Soy Free, Wheat Free, and Dairy Free
3. Bragg Premium Organic Nutritional Yeast
A must for the experimental cook, nutritional yeast with its cheese-like flavor can be added to so many different foods.
Sprinkle on as a seasoning for salads, potatoes, rice and pasta, vegetables and even popcorn, or add into your soups, dips, gravies, spreads, cereals, smoothies and juices to pack in some extra flavor and nutrition all at the same time!
It’s also low sodium and free of cholesterol, so it’s the perfect secret weapon for the chef who wants to deliver healthy meals without sacrificing taste.
- Does not contain: sugar, corn, eggs, dairy, soy, gluten, wheat, starch, animal derivatives, artificial colors & preservatives, Candida albicans yeast or brewery by products as brewer’s yeast
- Added with vitamin B12, and many other B vitamins
Because Marmite is made from yeast extract, it’s a fortified food with vitamin B12, and has been a favored way for vegans to get some extra B12 into their meals (each 4g serving provides 25% of your daily vitamin B12 and it is fortified with other B vitamins as well)
This UK made product has a very distinct flavor that is particularly useful in soups, stews and gravies, and can even be dissolved in a cup of hot water for a quick hot drink on a chilly day or use simply as a spread on toast.
It is Halal Food Authority approved and Certified Kosher by KLBD.
5. B-Fresh Gum
Now when did we think, chewing gum can become a nutritional source? Our perspective just changed with this innovative gum that acts like a vitamin B12 supplement!
As you chew, not only you get vitamin B12, but all the benefits of its bacteria-killing formula combined with xylitol and calcium for getting minty fresh breath. Now, how cool is that?
Nutrition & Other Info:
- Great source of vitamin B12 and calcium (300% of your daily vitamin B12 and 0.486 mg of calcium)
- Naturally eliminates bacteria causing tooth decay, plaque, and bad breath
- Fresh spearmint flavor without sugar, salt or preservatives
- Gluten-free, GMO-free, and soy free
- Vegan Brands That Are Revolutionizing Food!
- Vegan Supplements
- Vegan Milk (fortified)
- Vegan Organic Meal Replacement Shake
- Healthy Vegan Bread
- Vegan Meat
- Vegan Cheese
- Vegan Egg Substitutes (for egg dishes & vegan baking)
- Vegan Chocolate Brands