There’s no better Thanksgiving dessert than a homemade apple pie hot from the oven and with this vegan apple pie recipe, no-one is left out!
Coconut oil makes an easy and tasty replacement for butter in this bake, and this awesome fruit dessert is completely egg-free and nut-free as well. It’s a perfect baking recipe for any holiday making it a warm and comforting vegan treat perfect for the whole family!
Nothing beats the smell of freshly baked apples to bring friends and family together, and by combining apples of different varieties you can lend your own unique spin to this recipe.
Think Granny Smiths for extra tartness, Golden Delicious for sweetness, Gala apples or McIntosh apples for extra juiciness – it’s totally up to you.
With its flaky crust, ambrosial syrupy center and just a hint of cinnamon, this would also be a perfect accompaniment to your favorite vegan ice cream! It’s best served hot from the oven and enjoyed straight away!
Pin it! (Pinterest)
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Bake Time||1 hour|
|Passive Time||2 1/2 hours|
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour plus more for rolling
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 8 mixed apples red & green
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar plus more for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon or apple-pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt or table salt
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk or unsweetened soy milk
- Combine the flour, sugar and white vinegar and ½ teaspoon of salt in a bowl. Use your hands or a food processor to cut in the cold coconut oil until the pieces are pea size.
- Add ½ cup ice water and mix one last time. If the dough holds together when squeezed in a fist it is done otherwise add 1-2 tablespoons of water.
- Divide dough into two pieces and wrap with plastic wrap. Letting the dough rest in the fridge will make it easier to roll out.
- Peel and core the apples and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Toss with the sugar and apple cider vinegar in a large bowl. Dissolve the coconut oil in a big skillet over medium-high heat.
- Now add the apples and cook, stirring intermittently, till the firmer apples soften yet hold their shape, for approximately 12 minutes. Combine the cinnamon, flour, and 1/4 teaspoon salt, and stir to mix.
- Remove from heat, and let it cool completely.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and roll between two rounds of floured parchment. Place into the pie pan with overhanging dough on the sides.
- Add the cooled filling and top with the second piece of rolled dough. To finish the pie, fold the overhanging dough underneath itself and crimp or decorate with a fork.
- Brush the top with almond or soy milk and sprinkle with sugar. Cut the top to let steam escape and put back in the fridge to chill for an hour.
- Position an oven rack in the lowest point in the oven, put a baking sheet on the rack and preheat to 425 degrees F; preheat for about 30 minutes.
- Place the pie on the heated baking sheet, and reduce the oven to 375 deg. F. Bake till the pie is golden and the filling is bubbling, 1 hour to 1 hour and 20 minutes, turning as needed (if the edges brown too quickly cover those with foil)
- Love This
- Yahoo Mail
- Facebook Messenger
- Copy Link
Leave a Reply